Jalon Valley Help Are Seeking Volunteers
The charity, Jalon Valley Help provides care and assistance to anyone in need in our local communities, based around the Jalon and Orba valleys, week-in and week-out with never a break for more than 30 years. JVH provides support which includes, amongst other things,
- 24 hour helpline for emergency situations;
- Ánimo, a drop-in facility in Alcalalí, where people of all ages, nationalities and abilities can pop in to
- Socialise, make friends or to obtain support and advice or a little respite from caring responsibilities;
- Loan of a range of medical equipment, free of charge;
- Help with hospital runs;
- Access to interpreters, particularly for attendance at medical appointments;
- Respite, rehabilitation following surgery and end of life care for residents in their own dedicated facility in Hospital Ferris, Fontilles;
- Cancer Care the Valleys, a joint venture with Cancer Care Javea to provide weekly cancer related drop-in sessions at Ánimo with access to Lynwen Nurses.
The charity is funded by money raised through their three shops, in Jalon/Alcalalí/Orba, through events arranged throughout the year and of course through financial donations, either individual or regular donations through the Friends of JVH Scheme..
This is a major undertaking requiring volunteers with many skills, from event and shop management, driving and shop/warehouse work to social work and interpreting.
Jalon Valley Help, like many charities, have found that after the pandemic they are having difficulties in obtaining sufficient volunteers in order to fully support all their services, without overloading their existing volunteers. In consequence they have an urgent need for volunteers who can spare a morning each week, or a few hours when called upon, to join their team in providing this essential support to the needy in our community.
There are always openings for the following personnel, of any nationality :
- Volunteers to work in any of the shops in Jalon, Alcalali and Orba,
- Volunteers to work in the stores to help sort donations and ensure that the shops are stocked,
- Fundraisers to help organise events,
- Drivers to take people to hospital appointments
- Volunteers to help with collection and delivery of furniture and medical equipment e.g. hospital beds,
Spanish speakers would be particularly welcome, although this is not essential as much of the work is with English speaking people.
However at the moment there is also a need for volunteers with specific skills to help strengthen the team, including anyone who has a background in:
- the social care profession
- retail management
So please if you can spare some time and want to be part of a dynamic forward-looking charity aiming to help anyone in need in our community please call Pam Brooks, JVH President, on 634 310 415 and discuss how best you can help.